Young Lawyers Division
As a young lawyer, you are eligible to the join the Mecklenburg Young Lawyers Division - and I encourage you to do so! Before long, YLD members will be leaders in business, government, and the law. Relationships begun today can make a huge difference in careers tomorrow. The YLD strives to provide the best forum for Mecklenburg County's young lawyers to build quality relationships and grow their footprint within the Mecklenburg County Bar by providing a great deal more than empty networking events.
The YLD is open to all lawyers who are either 36 years of age or under or are within their first three years of practice. The YLD is a very active organization with a busy calendar full of events held for and by its members, including Ask-A-Lawyer Days, community service projects, seasonal socials, CLEs, YLD-only tables at Bar functions and multiple other opportunities to get involved in the YLD in big and small ways.
It is not enough to just join the YLD to maximize your experience - you need to join a YLD committee. There are numerous committees with volunteer opportunities:
- Community Service Committee - Coordinates public service opportunities for YLD members, including meals for those in need, toy drives for the Salvation Army Angel Tree, clothing drives, etc.
- Education Committee - Organize activities that educate the Mecklenburg County community. Such activities include developing and producing CLE's, and organizing the Academic Internship Program
- Legal Assistance Committee - Organizes projects which provide legal assistance to the citizens of Mecklenburg County and/or North Carolina as a whole. Such activities include Ask-A-Lawyer Day and NCBA's 4-All Service Day.Social Committee - Organizes quarterly socials for YLD Members and provides other events and gatherings which promote the interests of YLD Members.
- Membership Committee - Focuses on increasing YLD membership and ensuring that the YLD meets the needs of its members. This committee also organizes the Young Lawyer of the Year Award and the new lawyer swearing-in ceremonies.
- Connectivity Committee - Ensures that the YLD Members are actively participating in the goals and missions of the MCB. This committee bridges the gap between the YLD and the MCB and assists YLD Members as they increase their involvement in the MCB.
All you need to do to volunteer for a committee is e-mail our Membership Chair, Michael Harman (email@example.com), or me (firstname.lastname@example.org), let us know what committee you would like to join, and we will put you in contact with the committee chair who will quickly get you involved. Being on a committee will give you the opportunity to consider taking a leadership role as vice chair and then chair of that committee. Each committee chair serves on the YLD Council. The YLD Council meets monthly to discuss YLD business. Council members are then eligible to become YLD Officers, which consists of the YLD Chair, the Vice-Chair, and the Secretary / Treasurer. This is a wonderful opportunity to develop your leadership skills and hone them for future leadership roles in the MCB.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss how to get more involved in YLD, please call or e-mail either myself or the MCB at 704/375-8624 or email@example.com
You can join the YLD online or you may complete and return this registration form.
I hope you'll join us.
R. Jeremy Sugg
MCB YLD Chair, 2016-17
YLD on Facebook
Mecklenburg County Bar on Facebook