Lawyer Referral Service
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I need to speak with a lawyer – what should I do?
Contact the Mecklenburg County Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 704/375-0120 to speak to a lawyer referral specialist.
2. What services does the LRS offer?
The LRS provides referrals to attorneys in a variety of practice areas depending on the need of the client. The LRS can also provide the contact information for area legal service agencies that provide pro bono legal services.
3. How much does a referral cost, and when do I pay?
There is a $50 non-refundable fee for the attorney referral that must be paid upfront before receiving a referral. The $50 fee provides you with the referral and an up-to-30-minute consultation with the referred attorney. Once payment is received you will receive your referral and are then able to schedule your initial consultation with the referred attorney. You do not have to pay the attorney any additional fees for your 30-minute consultation once you have received a referral from the LRS.
4. How can I pay for the LRS?
Payment can be made by credit/debit card, cash, or check. Credit/debit card payments may be made over the phone. Cash or check payments may be made in person or by mail. A referral is not given until payment is received.
5. Does the LRS have walk-in hours?
The LRS has walk in hours Monday-Friday from 9-11:30 am and 2-4:30 pm.
6. Do the consultations occur at the Mecklenburg County Bar & Foundation Center?
No, once you are given a referral, you must contact the attorney directly to set up the consultation date, time, and location?
7. Can you give me legal advice?
No, the referral specialists are unable to provide legal advice or answer legal questions.
8. What if I need more than a 30-minute consultation?
The up-front $50 fee that is paid to the Lawyer Referral Service only entitles you to a 30-minute consultation. If you believe that you are going to need more than a 30-minute consultation then you will need to make arrangements with the referred attorney. If the attorney agrees to have a longer consultation it will be on the terms agreed to between you and that attorney.
9. What if the referred attorney can’t meet with me immediately?
We do not know the schedule of the attorneys in our service. We cannot promise that an attorney can meet for an initial consultation the day of your referral. The attorney has 24 hours to return your call and schedule your initial consultation. Please be aware that attorneys are often very busy, and may not have an opening immediately in their schedule.
10. What if I decide I want to retain the referred attorney to handle my legal matter?
If you decide that you want to hire the referred attorney for additional services, all arrangements and fees are between you and that attorney. We do not know what prices any of our attorneys charge after the initial consultation.
11. What if I need an attorney outside of Mecklenburg County and the surrounding areas?