Legal Career Corner is a career guide for Mecklenburg County Bar members and law students in an effort to provide some relief during times of economic slow down. We hope Legal Career Corner will help in job searching, interviewing, transitioning from law school to law firm, or searching for alternate careers.
Read the following scenarios and click on the one to which you most relate to find articles, books, and even videos related to your particular situation and advice from professionals all around the country.
Check back often as we will be adding additional resources.
Career Transition / Job Searching
· I am in a career transition and seeking a position with another firm. I cannot remember the last time I put together a resume, submitted references, or prepared for an interview. How can I make this a successful transition?
· I am currently searching for a position after practicing law for a few years. In the meantime I need to do some temporary work. What kind of contract work can I do with a J.D.?
· I have been practicing law for a few years and still have not found my niche. I think I could be practicing in the wrong area of law. What are some types of law that I may have not thought about?
· I am not interested in changing my practice focus--I want to find a completely different career! What are some alternate career paths for professionals with a J.D.?
· MCB members can post resumes and bios to the MCB Career Corner. MCB members and potential employers can search the bios and resumes, and contact MCB members directly for job and networking opportunities. This page is searchable and viewable by everyone.
· Learn about area Career Fairs
Recent Law School Grads
· I graduated from college and then worked in another industry for a few years. I decided to go back to get my J.D. and now I am a lot older than most starting out in the legal profession. What are some tips for non-traditional law students transitioning into practicing law?
· I am up to my neck in student loans and bills. With the market the way it is right now, I just can't see how I am ever going to pay back these loans. What kind of programs exist that may be helpful to me?
· I completed law school and received my J.D. Now what do I do?
· I am not 100 percent sure if I want to go to law school. I just don't know what all it involves. How can I decide if law school is right for me?
Networking / Mentoring
· I feel out of touch with the legal community and am looking for ways to connect with my colleagues. What networking opportunities are available for me?
· I'm relatively new in Mecklenburg County. What are the attorney mentoring resources available to me?
Opening Your Own Firm
· I was in a large firm, and now I want to start a solo practice (or small firm). Where can I find information about starting and running a small law firm?
· I am surrounded by all male associates all day. I am the only woman in my firm. I am considering opening my own practice. As a woman, what issues do I need to consider?
Stress & Anxiety
· I was with a firm for 10 years, but because of the financial crisis I was let go. I have a family to take care of and bills to pay, but I am having so much trouble finding another job. How do I cope with all of this?
· I am concerned that I (or a colleague/staff member/family member) may be dealing with anxiety, substance abuse issues and/or communication issues. Who can I contact for advice?
Help! I can't relate to any of the above scenarios!
Disclaimer: The Mecklenburg County Bar does not endorse the products and services advertised on other web pages linked to from the Legal Career Corner site.