Mecklenburg County Bar/Mecklenburg Bar Foundation
The primary focus of the Bar Leadership Institute (BLI) is to identify and develop leaders for the Mecklenburg County Bar and Mecklenburg Bar Foundation. The goal of the BLI program is to provide an opportunity for participating attorneys to:
· develop their personal leadership potential and skills to become a leader in the Bar/Foundation;
· become aware of leadership opportunities with the Bar/Foundation and the greater Charlotte community;
· consider pressing Bar and community issues with peers and presenters of the highest caliber;
· develop a spirit of lasting collegiality with their fellow participants; and
· apply what they learn and participate in a BLI class project.
The BLI begins with kickoff/volunteer recognition event followed by a mandatory weekend retreat in February. The retreat is designed to provide you with an in depth look at leadership within the Bar/Foundation and how it is measured from a number of perspectives, including, but not limited to:
· professionally - as a Bar member and leader;
· as a business owner - partner or owner of law firm;
· as a civic leader/public servant - not for profit role, community support; and/or
· personally - as a citizen, parent, friend, etc.
During the BLI program, you will be guided by facilitators, but your growth will come from this unique opportunity for both introspection and insight from your classmates. The retreat is followed during the next four months by opportunities for individual coaching by the facilitators as well as a series of seven evening discussion sessions featuring special guests. Past presenters have included Bar and civic leaders, law professors, and judges. A final session will encourage you to reflect on the BLI experience and to consider potential avenues of leadership in your Bar/Foundation, your organization, and your community. The class will identify a class project to be implemented following graduation to further participants' impact on the Bar /Foundation and the community.
Complete each section online (see link below) or mail a typed copy in full with attachments to MCB/MBF BLI Committee, 1123 S. Church St., Suite 103, Charlotte, NC 28203. Please enclose one letter of recommendation together with a résumé not to exceed two pages in length. A head shot, studio quality, 3-1/2 x 5 or 5 x 7 photograph (digital or hard copy) should be submitted with the application. If a suitable photograph is not available and you would like assistance in getting this done, please indicate on the application.
Applications are due by November 1, 2013. Candidate selections will be announced in December.
Application to the Bar Leadership Institute is open to members of the Mecklenburg County Bar who have been practicing attorneys for at least three years. Approximately 20 lawyers will be selected for participation in the 2014 class.
The BLI is committed to having a diverse and dynamic membership. Class members are chosen by the BLI Committee, which seeks representation from a cross-section of the Bar.
Attendance at all sessions, including the weekend retreat, and participation in the class project is required. In reviewing applications, the BLI Committee will look for potential participants who demonstrate the following criteria:
· commitment and motivation to serve in positions of Bar/Foundation or community leadership;
· record of service in public service and charitable organizations;
· a minimum of three years practicing; and
· ability to make the time commitment required by the program.
Upon graduation from the Bar Leadership Institute program, each class member is encouraged to join a Bar or Foundation committee.
2014 Program Dates - Before you apply for the 2014 BLI Program, please be sure you will be able to attend on the dates listed below:
BLI Retreat - The 2014 program will begin with a kickoff dinner and volunteer recognition event in Charlotte on Thursday, January 30, and a weekend retreat January 31 to February 2 beginning the following morning and ending at noon on Sunday. The class will travel by bus to the retreat site in Hickory, North Carolina. It is required that you attend the retreat.
Additional sessions will be held in Charlotte from 6 p.m. 9 p.m. on the following Wednesday evenings (dates subject to minor changes): February 19, March 5, March 19, April 2, April 16, April 30, May 14 and May 21 (Graduation).
Bar Leadership Institute Application Deadline: FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2013