Young Lawyers Division
Young Lawyers Division
Congratulations and welcome to the Mecklenburg County Bar! As Chair of the Young Lawyers Division of the Mecklenburg County Bar, I would like to congratulate you on your accomplishments and introduce you to the YLD and all that it has to offer a new lawyer such as yourself.
The YLD is open to all lawyers who are either 36 years of age or under or are within their first three years of practice. Its goals are to promote collegiality among young lawyers through professional and social activities, to serve the citizens of Mecklenburg County through community service projects, and to facilitate young lawyers' participation in the Mecklenburg County Bar.
The YLD offers new lawyers a great opportunity to meet and network with other lawyers and to get involved both in the community and in the Bar. We have numerous committees in which you may be interested:
· Community Service Committee - Coordinates public service opportunities for YLD members, including meals for the needy, the Giving Tree, clothing drives, etc.
· Education Committee - Organizes activities that educate the Mecklenburg County community. Such activities include the Big Bad Wolf Project, Lawyers Teaching Justice, Law Explorers and the Academic Internship Program.
· Legal Assistance Committee - Organizes projects which provide legal assistance to the citizens of Mecklenburg County and/or North Carolina as a whole. Such activities include Ask-A-Lawyer Day, NCBA's 4-All Service Day.
· Social Committee - Prepares quarterly socials for YLD Members and provides other events and gatherings which promote the interests of YLD Members.
· Membership Committee - Focuses on increasing YLD membership and ensuring that the YLD meets the needs of its members. This committee also organizes the Young Lawyer of the Year Award and the new lawyer swearing-in ceremonies.
· Connectivity Committee - Ensures that the YLD Members are actively participating in the goals and missions of the MCB. This committee bridges the gap between the YLD and the MCB and assists YLD Members as they increase their involvement in the MCB.
Be on the lookout for an invitation to our next social event or community service project. I invite and encourage you to become a member of YLD and get involved!
If you have any questions or would like to discuss how to get more involved in the YLD, please call or e-mail me. You can join the YLD online or you may contact the Mecklenburg County Bar at 704/375-8624 for a registration form.
Congratulations again, and welcome to the YLD!
Young Lawyers Division Chair
Essex Richards P.A.
1701 South Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28203